At Oculus Research, we’re developing the future of virtual and augmented reality. We are looking for an experienced leader to manage and continue to build a world-class Optics research team dedicated to advancing the state of the art in both VR and AR. You’ll be managing a team of optical scientists and engineers aimed at pushing beyond the state of the art for all the functionality of next-gen near to eye displays and imaging systems. You will be responsible for recruiting, career growth, organizational health, guiding overall direction, and supporting multiple teams and projects working in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment.
- Build, lead, mentor, inspire, and enable a world-class Optics team.
- Work with Chief Scientist, lead Optics researchers, and cross-functional teams to develop and pursue a vision for next-generation optical systems.
- Enable a team to research and develop advanced optical components and systems, including but not limited to: imaging and display systems.
- Explore optical requirements to create new experiences and advance technologies necessary to create architectures that can deliver these requirements.
- Collaborate and work across teams to develop concepts that advance the entire product pipeline (hardware, software, computer vision, etc.).
- 10+ years of hands-on Optics research and development experience.
- 5+ years of Optics management experience.
- A strong mentor with the ability to lead an organization at various experience levels ranging from interns to world-renowned Optics researchers.
- Broad Optics technical knowledge across a broad range of optics including imaging, illumination, radiometry and photometry, physical and geometric optics, statistics, and polarization.
- Understanding of sources (lasers and LED’s), spatial light modulators, diffractive optics, optical materials, and thin film optics.
- Experience as lead investigator for which significant results were achieved or established.
- Subject matter expert demonstrated through publications, patents, and shipped products.
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and long timelines.
- Proven ability to collaborate well and work across teams to develop concepts that advance the entire product pipeline (hardware, software, computer vision, etc.).
- PhD or M.S. in Optics or related field required.