Oculus is looking for an experienced and self-motivated plastics and tooling expert with management experience. In this key position, you will be responsible for providing the leadership, expertise and direction for the Tooling Engineering team and act as liaison between Product Design, Technical Operations and Supply Chain on ensuring manufacturability, cost and design goals are met with plastic parts. In this role you will assist in developing and implementing the necessary process documentation used by the Product Development team and our supply base to ensure best design practices are followed and Oculus’ expectations from the supply base are well understood and communicated. You will assist in guiding the development teams to appropriate material selection for new designs. This role will be a working level manager role where you will have direct project ownership in addition to management responsibilities. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways.
- Collaborate with Product Design teams to review plastic parts for moldability and suggest design paths/modifications that achieve the mechanical and cosmetic requirements of the design.
- Provide cross-functional leadership on tooling across all Oculus products
- Coach and develop individual team members based on their strengths
- Interface with vendors as needed to support business needs
- Lead DFx process with plastics and tooling vendors.
- Drive tooling design process to meet molding and part production requirements.
- Own the analysis, testing, and qualification for injection molds and other part production manufacturing tools.
- Review and strengthen our current tooling qualification and supplier management processes.
- Guide PDE/mechanical team in material selection for new product development.
- Manage the overall tool fabrication schedule and process for tooling development and qualification.
- Work with vendors to establish optimal molding and secondary operation processes.
- Research and develop new manufacturing processes.
- Analyze manufacturing data and drive improvements.
- Ensure quality output of plastic and mechanical components.
- Analyze MoldFlow, FEA, and stress analysis data for mechanical parts.
- Facilitate communication between CM partners and mechanical part suppliers to ensure quality metrics are understood, followed, and achieved.
- Effectively communicate manufacturing issues and drive resolution between Oculus engineering, and supply base.
- Monitor quality control and address issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Materials Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 10+ years of experience with plastics injection molding.
- Understanding of injection mold designs, tool steel, and construction processes.
- Prior people management experience
- Experience with CAD software and MoldFlow analysis
- Experience with communication between Asian supply base and US based Engineering teams.
- Ability to travel in region up to 25%
- Materials Engineering background and/or plastics specialization.