Oculus is a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative researchers with a passion for technology to develop next generation haptics for our research location in Redmond, WA. The focus of this role is the design and control of haptic displays. This includes mechanical design and modeling of haptic actuators, instrumentation of mechatronic systems relating control inputs to mechanical impedances, and implementation of control architectures and laws to maximize transparency. The position requires a PhD in mechanical, electrical, or control systems engineering, and a strong background in modeling, analysis, estimation, and haptic control.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge research to advance transparent haptic displays with applications to virtual reality.
- Collaborate with other researchers, engineers, and artists to prototype hardware and software solutions, and run experiments to advance the project
- PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering, or related technical field
- 4+ years experience with haptic displays and traditional impedance-type haptic control algorithms
- Publishing record in haptics, estimation, control, and dynamics systems
- Research skills involving defining problems, exploring solutions, and analyzing results
- 3+ years experience with Matlab, Simulink, and C++
- 2+ years experience in mathematical optimization, including software libraries and implementation from first principles
- Interpersonal skills including cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Experience with virtual reality research
- Proven track record of achieving academic results, including papers at conferences or journals such as IJRR, IEEE Trans. Haptics, IROS, ICRA, etc.
- Strong communication and personal management skills.