As a product design engineer at Oculus, you will take a critical role in bringing VR to our customers. You will develop structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next-generation consumer virtual reality hardware. You will take the lead exploring and refining major elements of the consumer Rift through hands-on, iterative prototyping, while working with a team of diverse, top engineers. You will refine selected designs and coordinate with manufacturing experts during the production process. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their mechanical engineering expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate has strong a mechanical background, excellent prototyping skills, expert 3D CAD capability, and experience in designing and manufacturing consumer technology products.
- Lead design, development and production of new Oculus hardware products.
- Own engineering activities for a major assembly or entire product throughout the entire product lifecycle, from definition and creation, through design, production, and next-gen improvements.
- Implement sound engineering processes and systematic approaches, while solving diverse design and manufacturing challenges.
- Serve as a resident expert in effective engineering and design for manufacture processes.
- Contribute to the creation of technical specifications and product definition.
- Engineer parts and mechanisms that retain design intent and function according to specs.
- Build and finalize robust, manufacturable CAD models of selected design ideas.
- Test and evaluate design components for manufacturability and structural integrity.
- Coordinate with manufacturing experts to optimize part design and production processes, including assembly line set-up.
- Collaborate with designers and other engineers to identify challenges and offer solutions.
- Provide cross-functional leadership and direction.
- Support product production throughout the manufacturing process.
- Lead and mentor engineers.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- 6+ years of experience in the mechanical engineering of consumer electronics
- 6+ years of experience in 3D modeling in Solidworks, ProE or NX
- Expertise in mechanical fundamentals
- Strong design analysis capability (FEA / Simulation skills are a plus)
- Extensive manufacturing knowledge and experience, specifically with plastic injection molding
- Strong background driving China-based vendors remotely and in-person
- Experience building part and assembly prototypes in the shop
- Experience with optical systems a plus
- Experience designing mechanisms a plus
- Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills a plus